Brown, Dan. The da Vinci Code. Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. 2003.
850L -6th grade
Awards: 2005 Witt Smith Book of the year, British Book awards, http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/apr/21/books.danbrown
Reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Vinci-Code-Dan-Brown/product-reviews/0307474275/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
What can you say about the da Vinci Code? It is a pageturner for sure. Is it factually correct? Much of the information in the novel does indeed have its basis in scholarly research, but there is much in dispute, especially with the Catholic Church. It is, however, a good read and gives a lot of information about what life was like during da Vinci's time and gives us a glimpse of his true genius. I think this might be a good book for a literature circle or book club within the classroom. It would certainly prompt discussion and give alternative viewpoints about the Church and its continuing role today on Renaissance history. While there is a part of me that is reluctant to include this book in my annotated bibliography because of its controversial subject matter, I think that it has great merit in getting students "hooked" on reading historical fiction. I am very confident that my above average 9th graders would have no problem with the material. The value in Dan's Brown's book lies in that it is a hook to get kids thinking into the times and age of Leonardo and the Renaissance.
link to the official movie trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMba3fckhuQ

1 comment:
I agree it's a good way to get them focused on the man and the time. I think often times I hesitate to include certain literature or plays out of a purist "attitude" and the feel to stay "authentic" but sometimes, whatever works will do! If the alternative is something dry and boring, they're going to shut down and we get nowhere. So bring on the suspense!
Post a Comment